Many of us enjoy the delicious, heavenly taste of ripe plantains. Whether fried as a side dish to be eaten with the main meal or cooked as the main meal itself, ripe plantains can be a delight to many. While this may not be the case with the taste of unripe plantain for many, the health benefits of unripe plantain cannot be sidelined.
From the peels to the plantain itself, unripe plantain provides so many health benefits that after considering them, you would want to eat it more often than ripe plantains.
Hard to believe? We’ll see! Let’s now get to know the health benefits of this often underrated meal.
Health Benefits of Unripe Plantain
- Heart Enhancing: Unripe plantain is a rich source of Serotonin, Potassium, and Fiber, among others. All these are vital for the improved functioning of the heart. Serotonin, for example, helps in dilating the arteries and improving the flow of blood. Potassium helps to control blood pressure and heart rate, thereby reducing the risk of hypertension and heart attack. Fibre beats down the level of cholesterol hence preventing heart diseases.
- Ulcer Prevention: Studies have shown that unripe plantains work for both prevention of ulcer formation as well as curing ulcer. This is as a result of phytochemical properties contained in it.
- Weight Loss: If you have weight loss as a goal, unripe plantain would be a great meal to include in your diet. Because of its high fibre content, it has a lower energy density, providing few calories per food gram.
- Eyesight: Another advantage of the unripe plantain is its richness in vitamins which are essential for good eyesight. Because of this richness in vitamins, it can also improve your immune system as well as skin complexion.
- Digestion: Fiber contained in unripe plantain helps promote bowel regularity and also prevents constipation. Because it increases fullness and digests slowly, it gives less chance to consume junks which is beneficial for your digestive health.
- Diabetes Control: Compared to the ripe plantain, the unripe plantain contains a very low amount of sugar, making it an excellent meal choice for the control and prevention of diabetes. When combined with vegetables, it is especially effective.
- Strong Bones: Unripe plantain is a rich source of another essential mineral, Calcium. Calcium helps to maintain healthy bones and teeth. When regularly present in the body, it can prevent Osteoporosis.
- Anaemia and Neutris Treatment: Neutris, a medical condition that causes nerve inflammation and Anaemia, a condition characterized by the presence of low red blood cells causing weakness, can both be treated and prevented by regular consumption of unripe plantain. Unripe plantain is a rich source of vitamin B6, which ensures that red blood cells are adequately produced.
Benefits of Unripe Plantain for Men
The health benefits discussed above are general as they apply to both men and women, young and old. However, there are health benefits specifically for men that can be derived from eating unripe plantains. Eating unripe plantains is an effective way to improve fertility in men and treat some common sexual health conditions. Let’s consider a few of those.
- Weak Erection: Plantain, especially when roasted, is suitable for men with a weak erection. Regular consumption of roasted plantain is a natural remedy for weak erection.
- Low Libido: The vitamins and minerals contained in the unripe plantain can help to increase libido and boost sexual health for men.
- Erectile Dysfunction: When combined with spices such as ginger, onion, and garlic, unripe plantain serves as a solution to erectile dysfunction and low sperm count.
- Premature Ejaculation: Smashing unripe plantain and taking it with garlic is a known remedy for premature ejaculation. The level of potassium contained in unripe plantains makes it able to rejuvenate sexual organs.
Benefits of Unripe Plantain during Pregnancy
Pregnancy is one crucial stage in women’s life during which unripe plantains should not be missed. Unripe plantain has high iron content and can, therefore, provide the following benefits during pregnancy.
- Enhances Production of Hemoglobin: During pregnancy, the amount of blood in the body increases significantly, and iron is needed to improve the production of haemoglobin. Unripe plantain contains the required amount of iron for this process.
- Enhances Growth: Extra iron is needed in the body for the proper growth of the baby and placenta. Most women start pregnancy with insufficient iron stored in the body, regular consumption of unripe plantain is therefore needed to enhance the baby’s growth.
- Prevents Complications: Complications such as premature delivery and low birth weight are associated with a lack of sufficient iron. This disadvantage can, therefore, be prevented by consuming unripe plantain during pregnancy.
- Controls Vomiting: Unripe plantains can serve as a remedy for nausea which occurs regularly during pregnancy.
- Energy Source: Sufficient energy is definitely necessary during pregnancy. Unripe plantain contains starch which is a natural source of energy. Eating unripe plantain gives you the needed strength to have a healthy pregnancy.
- Boosts Immunity: Having a strong immune system prevents you from harmful infections common during pregnancy, prevents cell damage, and detoxifies free radicals. Unripe plantain contains vitamin C and vitamin A to help you with just that.
- Prevents Constipation: Dietary fibre present in unripe plantain helps promote bowel regularity and prevent constipation. This can bring relief and improve how one feels during pregnancy.
- Provides Folates: Different folates such as niacin and thiamin are contained in unripe plantain. Folates are good for the baby’s health.
So far, we have seen the general health benefits of unripe plantain, its benefit for men as well as for women during pregnancy. I’m sure you would agree that these are not benefits to be missed. So if you been regularly eating unripe plantains, kindly continue and keep on enjoying these benefits.
If you haven’t, kindly take practical steps to include this nutritious meal in your diet and improve your health. The good news is, it can be prepared in various ways and paired with various meals to enjoy. Whichever way you choose to eat it, make sure you do not miss out on the astounding health benefits of unripe plantain.